Big Research Projects
The Project of Specialised Vocational Centres (UMEM) Skill'10
The biggest problem behind the unemployment problem is that people's "having no profession". In Turkey, on one hand there is manpower surplus on one hand, on the other hand companies have problem in having qualified employees. In this context, "The Project of Specialised Vocational Centres (UMEM) Skill'10" has been started so as to find a solution for unemployment problem which originates from the unbalance of supply and demand. The Project of Specialised Vocational Centres (UMEM) Skill'10 is an action for skill and employment course.
With the protocol completed among Turkish Union of Chambers and Exchange Commodities, Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Ministry and of National Education and TOBB ECONOMY AND TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY (TOBB-ETÜ), the Project of Specialised Vocational Centres (UMEM) Skill'10 was started in 19 province, at the beginning, and it has been going on in 81 provinces at the time of being. In this context, the components of the project are as follows:
- Strengthening the education infrastructure;
- Purchase of machines-equipments
- Curriculum revision
- Giving Education to Trainers
2. Needs analysis of labour market;
- Applying the questionnaires regarding the needs analysis of labour market in 19 provinces which were appointed as pilot provinces.
- Asking the companies in 81 provinces about their labour force- trainee needs
- Selecting the trainees
- Arranging place for apprenticeship
- Employing the successful ones
4. Application of the newly designed courses
The short application project of UMEM project is given as follows:
- Within the scope of "Labour Market Needs Analysis" and labour force- trainee demands collected from 81 provinces, determining the professional and technical education need of the labour market in terms of provinces and completing the education to trainers in 81 provinces in this direction.
- Giving education to the unemployed people who are registered to İŞKUR (Turkish Employment Authorisation) accordingly.
- Twinning those who look for companies under the coordination of "Course Administrations" at the local level, giving practical education to the trainees.
- Awarding certificate to successful trainees, made them employed by the companies where they completed their apprenticeship.
The aims of UMEM Skill'10
- Setting a system for increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of activities which are conducted by İŞKUR (Turkish Employment Authorisation) for making people having profession and especially the professional education in technical area and making them in compatible with the needs of labour market
- Giving basic professional education, the education for professional development and professional renovation, accepting successful trainees and, as the last step, make the successful trainees employed by the companies where they perform their apprenticeship
- Increasing the awareness for the professional education services which are conducted by İŞKUR (Turkish Authorisation Administration)
- Renewing the technical infrastructure of vocational high schools, equipping the schools which are within the scope of the project with the technology which is a necessity today and increasing the adaptation of the students studying in these schools to technology.
- Making sectoral and regional labour market needs analysis
- Increasing the institutional capacity for labour market needs analysis, and making the Provincial Employment and Vocational Education Rules.
- Developing the new management model under name of " Course Management" which stipulates the participation of parties so as to increase the effectiveness of the vocational educational programs to be applied in the schools within the project.